AUG / Collaborate
Drug and toxicology analysis center
About Drug and toxicology analysis center
With its strong belief that the complementary role of the universities with the local society is considered one of the most important factors in the scientific progress and development all over the world, Al-Azhar university, Gaza established a drug analysis centre, which is the only qualified official drug analysis centre in Gaza since 1998 by the Palestinian Ministry of Health. In order to widen and strengthen the ties with the local Palestinian community, the university decided to establish a toxicology analysis division in 2017, to constitute-along with the drug analysis division- the " Drug and Toxicology Analysis Centre".
The work of the Centre is carried out under the supervision of a highly qualified teamwork of the staff of the university. The centre uses modern instrumentation and equipments and follows advanced analytical methods to provide accurate and precise results, such as: UV-Vis Spectrophotometer; HPLC; TLC; Solid-phase extraction; Drying under nitrogen; Dissolution tester; Disintegration tester, etc.
The Services provided by the center include:
- The center issues drug quality control certificates for:
- Quality control for registration of new pharmaceutical dosage forms of locally manufactured and imported finished pharmaceutical dosages intended for human use.
- Routine quality control of finished pharmaceutical dosage forms of (locally manufactured and imported finished pharmaceutical dosages intended for human use.
- Quality control of finished pharmaceutical dosage forms for veterinary use.
- Quality control of raw pharmaceutical materials.
- Quality control of raw chemical materials.
- Analysis of drugs in biological samples, according the available facilities in the centre.
- Analysis addictive substances both in dosage forms and biological samples,
according the available facilities in the centre.
- Analysis of pesticides residues in food and food products, water and soil, according the available facilities in the centre.
- Conducting scientific researches involving determination of toxic substances in food, environmental and biological fluid samples.
- Providing Consultations and analysis services to the academic staff, post-graduate students, and researchers of local universities.
- Providing consultations for local pharmaceutical manufacturing companies during manufacturing process and of the new and official analysis methods.
- Offering training courses for undergraduate students of different scientific faculties to provide them with the new and advanced information of analytical methods in drug toxic substances analysis.
The Centre looks forward to enriching its capabilities with additional new and advanced analytical instruments and research equipments that will facilitate carrying out current duties and help extending our ability for serving the Palestinian community in the future. Furthermore, the centre looks forward to make ties of cooperation with other scientific institutions worldwide to carry out modern drug researches and exchange scientific experience.
Future development expansion plan of the center includes providing the following services which will help achieving the overall objectives of the centre:
- Stability testing of drugs, as a part of the registration process of new drugs.
- Drug impurity determination.
- Establishing bioequivalence unit.
- Extension of the analysis of a large number of pesticides residues in food and products, water and soil.
- Analysis of toxic substances including drugs and chemicals that are commonly involved in human poisoning cases in biological samples, which will be of value for the physicians working in the local hospitals.
- Analysis of the most commonly used addictive substances in Gaza, both in their different dosage forms and in the biological samples.
- Establishing "a poison information unit", which provides poisoning cases treatment, drug information database, and drug interactions, to the health professionals and public.
- Development of new and more precise analytical methods to be used in the analysis of drugs and toxic substances in the centre.
- Strengthen the link with the local community in Gaza, including pharmacists, physicians, and other medical professions through workshops, training courses, and periodical brochures provided by the center.