AUG / Institute of Water & Environment (IWE)
Institute of Water & Environment
The Institute has implemented many research studies together with Palestinian Governmental & Non-Governmental organizations, and International Organizations, such as: Palestinian Water Authority (PWA); Palestinian Environmental Quality Authority (WQA); Palestinian Ministry of Planning (MOPL); Palestinian Ministry of Agriculture (MOA); Palestinian Hydrology Group (PHG); German Technical Cooperation (GTZ); Middle East Desalination Research Centre (MEDRC); International Development Research Centre-Canada (IDRC); UNESCO, Cairo Office (ROSTAS); and Italian Cooperation South (CISS).
The most important projects implemented in the laboratory:
- Water Quality Analysis Khan Younes and Southern Areas of the Gaza Strip, for Italian Project during the Period from 1996 – 1999.
- Microbiological Analysis (about 150 samples) for small Household RO unit throughout the Gaza Strip, on 2004.
- Water Quality analysis (chemical) for a research Project for Groundwater Wells near the Sheikh Ejleen Wastewater Treatment Plant, on 2005.
- Water Quality analysis (microbiological) for a research Project for Groundwater Wells near the Sheikh Ejleen Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2007.
- Water quality monitoring program, for ACF-Spain for a comprehensive project for improving water access in Al-Nasser and Beni Amer (Rafah governorate) area. The project is funded by ECHO, 2009.
- Water and Wastewater Analysis for PWA Project: North Gaza Emergency Sewage Treatment Project (NGESTP074595), World Bank Grant N°: MULT TF054208-GZ; Water Quality Baseline Survey-2010-2012.
- Conducting Heavy Metals Sampling and Analyzing Program- Coastal Municipal Water Utility (CMWU), Gaza, March 2012-June 2012.
- Household water collection and analysis, Gaza Strip-With Alpha International for research and information, September up to November 2012.
- Since 1995 up to now water analysis for private sector (owners of private groundwater wells).
- Water and Wastewater analysis for graduation research projects for the Master Degree Students at the ISW and Al Azhar University Students (Faculty of Science) from 2000 up to now.
- Soil analysis for Post War Environmental Impact Assessment, with MA`AN Development Center , November 2015.
- Analysis of Soil Physical and Chemical soil Properties in Juhr Eldiek, Khuza`a, and Qrara, for Economic and Social Development Center of Palestine (ESDC) in cooperation with NICCID-Japan. Finished I May 2016.
- Testing heavy metals in 150 blood and milk samples for Master Thesis, October, 2016
- Water quality control for hydroponic system for FAO, 2017.
- Economic and Social Development Center of Palestine (ESDC): Drinking Water Quality Surveying (chemistry and microbiology ) for Small Scale Desalination plants in Gaza governorate, April 2017
- Increased access to safe drinking water for school children affected by 2014 war on Gaza. Testing water quality parameters (microbiological and chemical) for desalination and household samples. ESDC, June 2017
- MA`AN in partnership with OXFAM Project funded from SIDA: development Equitable Agricultural production and Market System for Resilient Economic Development in the occupied Palestinian Territory. July 2017
- Economic and Social Development Center of Palestine (ESDC), and Marwanco: Water quality assessment for the new desalination plants in the Gaza Strip schools, October 2017.
- Analysis for Soil samples for MA’AN Development Center, Gaza office ; November 2017
- Analysis for Soil and Water samples for AMNICA (3) project, for MA’AN Development Center, Gaza office ; November 2017.
- Ongoing project: Analysis for Soil samples for AMNICA (3) project, for MA’AN Development Center, Gaza office and APHEDA and financed from Australian government; March 2018,
- Ongoing project: Analysis for Water samples for Innovative Response to Humanitarian Food and Water needs in Gaza project implemented by MA’AN Development Center, Gaza office, in partnership with DCA and NCA; May 2018.