The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment was founded in 1992. It was mainly designed to develop a new generation of scholars and specialists in agricultural sciences to keep up with the development of the various agricultural domains in Gaza and subsequently serve the Palestinian society. Hundreds of students graduated from the faculty and some have prestigious status in and outside Palestine.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment at Al Azhar University-Gaza (AUG) welcomes all new and returning students to its exciting programs in Agriculture and Environment.
The Agriculture sector is considered the main pillar in building a public global economy In Palestine. In 1992, the late Palestinian President Yasser Arafat announced the establishment of the Faculty of Agriculture and Environment at AUG on an area of 140 acres in Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza Strip.
As a result of the brutal practices of the Israeli occupation in bulldozing the faculty buildings and farm, His Majesty King Mohammad VI of Morocco contributed to establish a new building for the faculty in Al Mughraqa area, taking the form of a modern Islamic style and containing all supplies of furniture, equipment and devices. The new building will include the three main faculty departments, namely:
1. Plant Production and Protection Department.
2. Food Technology Department.
3. Animal and Poultry Production Department.
Furthermore, the Qatari Red Crescent took part in rehabilitating the faculty farm in Beit Hanoun in order to be a center of scientific research, training and production. The faculty also updated its study plans and curricula in line with the evolution of scientific needs. Moreover, in 2005, the faculty developed a master's degree in the above mentioned disciplines, in partnership with the Faculty of Agriculture at Cairo University in order to supplement the Palestinian agronomists with the latest findings of science and technology in the field of diverse agricultural development.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment at AUG will remain an active and positive role in the Palestinian community.
Ahmed A R Abu Shaaban
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment aims :
- To provide the agricultural production sector with specialized agronomists in order to achieve agricultural development in the society.
- To conduct applied agricultural research to keep up with the agricultural development.
- To direct agricultural production in a way to not exceed the market need.
- To implement training programs for the faculty students and staff members.
- To develop programs to maintain the Palestinian environment.
- To develop and exploit the use of water and find solutions for water shortage.
- To support farmers in various agricultural fields through technical support.
- To find strategies for agricultural development in Palestine.
- To hold scientific conferences, seminars and agricultural exhibitions.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment strives to establish the following units in the near future:
- Animal Production Unit
- Food Processing Unit
- Food Processing Unit
- Honey Production Unit
- Ecosystems Unit
- Rural Development Center for Studies and Training
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment at Al-Azhar University-Gaza (AUG) confers a bachelor's degree after successfully completing (136) credit hours in the following disciplines:
- Animal & Poultry Production
- Plant Production and Protection
- Food Science and Technology
For any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us :
+970 - 08 - 2641885
+970 - 08 - 2641886
+970 - 08 - 2641887
+970 - 08 - 2641890
+970 - 08 - 2641888